Quantcast

ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

MichaelGaTech
Hi,

 I was following the instructions on this page:

http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Setting-up-a-build-environment/111.html

When I got the bottom of the page and tried to run the

$ bitbake omap3-console-image

 command I received this error:

 ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

I have spent hours searching the internet for solutions and have not found anything useful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

Re: ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

Cedric Skybotix
On 06/17/2010 05:53 PM, MichaelGaTech [via CoaX Users] wrote:
Hi,

 I was following the instructions on this page:

http://www.gumstix.net/Setup-and-Programming/view/Overo-Setup-and-Programming/Setting-up-a-build-environment/111.html

When I got the bottom of the page and tried to run the

$ bitbake omap3-console-image

 command I received this error:

 ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

I have spent hours searching the internet for solutions and have not found anything useful.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Michael

View message @ http://coax-users.203636.n3.nabble.com/ERROR-Please-set-the-PERSISTENT-DIR-or-CACHE-variable-tp903113p903113.html
To start a new topic under CoaX Users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from CoaX Users, click here.

Hi Michael,

I have not seen this error before. Did you post a message on the gumstix forum?

Maybe the first thing you could just do is "bitbake gcc". If that works, you already have most of the thing you need to work on the coax.

Best

Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp

Re: ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

MichaelGaTech
I just tried:

bitbake gcc

and received the exact same error.

I'll try posting the question to the gumstix forum as well, hopefully someone has an answer. Everywhere I looked before the question was frequently asked, but rarely answered satisfactorily.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

Siavash
Hi,

I'm having the exact same problem. did you figure it out?

Regards,
Siavash

Re: ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

Cedric Skybotix
It looks like this problem is due to an improper configuration of the toolchain, and environment variables.
Please try following the instruction on
http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Getting_Started

Best

View message @ http://coax-users.203636.n3.nabble.com/ERROR-Please-set-the-PERSISTENT-DIR-or-CACHE-variable-tp903113p2170556.html

Dr. Cedric Pradalier
http://www.asl.ethz.ch/people/cedricp

Re: ERROR: Please set the 'PERSISTENT_DIR' or 'CACHE' variable.

Khurram Gulzar
It seems like the system updates have removed some settings of bitbake

On my gumstix i resolved the problem by just setting the source
$ source  ~/gumstix/gumstix-oe/extras/profile

I thought it would be a good idea to share
Hope it helps